About the Program
The GovStar Awards program honors government contractors for their technology innovation, workplace environment, growth, veteran support and impact on the industry and the marketplace as a whole. Government contracting is an extremely competitive and growing industry in the Greater Washington market, and the federal government is the largest consumer of products and services in the U.S. The GovStar program recognizes the many commendable attributes of Greater Washington companies striving for excellence in this complex and competitive sector.
Each year, an independent committee of local business leaders selects the winners based on their growth, innovation, corporate culture, veteran support and industry impact. Finalists are profiled in the November/December issue of Washington SmartCEO magazine and celebrated at an awards reception in November, where category winners are announced live.
Finalists will be named in each of five categories based on company size. A small, medium and large company will be selected as a winner in each. You may apply for only one award category and must complete the application to be considered. All applicants will be considered for the Industry Star award.
- Star Performer: Government contractor that has experienced tremendous growth through M&A and/or organic growth.
- Star Warfighter: Government contractor providing products and services that support and protect the U.S. Armed Forces, the Federal Government and/or American citizens.
- Star Workplace: Government contractor that has created a dynamic, engaging workplace environment for its employees.
- Technical Trailblazer: Government contractor that has developed an innovative technology product or breakthrough.
- Industry Star: (All applicants considered) Government contractor that has made significant contributions to the government contracting industry through mentoring, business partnerships, philanthropy, advocacy and dedication to its core mission.
Benefits of Applying
SmartCEO Awards Programs celebrate the achievements of the region’s top business leaders and build community by connecting them in person as they are honored at high-energy awards ceremonies. SmartCEO award winners are growth-minded leaders who possess a passion for driving outcomes that benefit their clients, their industries and their communities.
PRINT: Each GovStar Award finalist will be profiled in the award-winning SmartCEO magazine and at SmartCEO.com33 for a combined monthly audience of more than 150,000 CEOs and C-level executives.
VIDEO: SmartCEO will capture each GovStar Award finalist’s inspiring story on camera at a custom program video shoot. Clips from each finalist’s video interview will be used to introduce them the night of the event. Upon request, custom, personalized videos can be created for corporate marketing campaigns.
EVENT: GovStar Award finalists will celebrate and network with their successful peers and other industry leaders at a high-energy awards ceremony dedicated to honoring their achievements and building the local business community.
DIGITAL: Announce your SmartCEO award and build a following via social channels, press release, digital and print promotion, or broadcast your story using your personal SmartCEO Hub page and access the entire SmartCEO community. Digital promotion lends longevity, credibility and market recognition to your brand.
Application Process and Criteria
There is no cost to apply. If you are selected as an award finalist it is mandatory that you purchase a discounted finalist ticket to ensure your attendance at the event.
- Companies must be headquartered in the Greater Washington metro region.
- Companies must generate a minimum of $5 million in annual revenue. Note: If below $5 million, please inquire personally.
- Applicant must hold a top leadership role in their company (chairman, CEO, president, owner, executive director of a nonprofit) for at least one year.
- The company must provide detailed and tangible accounts about its mission, industry impact, veteran support, innovation, growth and culture.
Application Submission & Evaluation
Please complete the following application fields in their entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Upon completion of the application, applicants will receive notification that their application has been received and is under review. All applicants will be evaluated by an independent panel of local business leaders and assessed strictly based on the information provided in the application. Applicants will be notified of their status by a SmartCEO Market Director.
If you have questions about the GovStar Awards program or the application process, contact us at:
Washington: Heather Louise Finch: firstname.lastname@example.org